Play the Game 2013 was the eighth Play the Game conference, and over the years the conferences have addressed a vast number of issues of critical importance for world sports.
The title of the 2013 conference was 'stepping up for democracy in sport' and again, the conference themes reflected some of the major issues in sports today and gave a peek into sport's future.
The main themes for Play the Game 2013 were:
- Match-fixing: Fair game for gangsters?
- Sports reforms: Fact or phantom?
- The anti-doping dilemma: Saving sport, sacrificing athletes?
- Recreational sport: A lost cause for sports organisations?
- Sports facilities: Who are we building for?
- From Russia to Rio: Power games or people’s games?
- Open forum