Travel and conference grants
Application procedures and application form
N.B. The deadline for grant applications has passed.
Play the Game offers a limited number of travel and conference grants for media professionals, sports researchers, sports leaders and other relevant persons from less privileged countries.
Subsidies primarily go to people from developing countries, but applicants from other countries outside the EU may also be considered.
A travel grant consists of the full or partial financing of
- Travel costs to Aarhus, Denmark, and back
- Full conference package including lunch and dinner, social events, information materials etc.
- Accommodation in 2-4 bedded dorms at hotels or hostels within walking distance from the conference venue
Grant holders cannot bring accompanying persons and must accept travel plans made by the organisers.
Play the Game cannot take any responsibility, whatsoever, for injury or damage to persons or property during the conference. The organisers recommend that the participants insure themselves and their property for the conference duration.
Representatives of the organising committee from Play the Game will consider grant applications in due time before the event, taking into consideration one or more of the following criteria:
- that the applicant plays an active role in the sports debate in his or her home country and can prove a long-term interest in the conference themes
- that the applicant can add value to Play the Game’s agenda by reporting on conference issues to national media, by presenting papers during the conference, by entering in panel discussions, by contributing to Play the Game’s own news production or in other ways
- that he or she may be able to cover part of the total travel and conference costs
- that the total selection of grant holders represent a mix of earlier participants and newcomers
- that a fair distribution of grants is achieved with respect to gender, age, geographical origin, function in the public sports debate etc.
If your application is approved of, we will send you an official invitation and inform the nearest Danish Embassy of the grant. You must then start visa application procedures without delay. Information on visa regulation can be found at:
A list of Danish representations can be found at:
If you are not directly informed otherwise, the organisers of Play the Game will take care of buying a return flight ticket and instruct you where to pick it up.
Documents and deadline
If you want to apply for a conference grant you must fill in the application form below.
Also, we ask you to send the following documents preferably by e-mail (as attached documents or scanned copies) or by ordinary mail:
- A resume, articles or other relevant documentation for your contributions to the sports debate
Deadline for grant application and accompanying documents is 1 June 2015 15:00 CET by e-mail to:
or by ordinary mail to our office address:
Play the Game
Att./ Conference Manager Maria Suurballe
Frederiksgade 78B, 2
DK-8000 Aarhus C.
Only applications following the described procedures will be taken into consideration.
Download the Grant application form (writable pdf)