Journalist, author and blogger, www.jensweinreich.com
Jens Weinreich, born 1965, is an investigative journalist and author. His specialist areas are international politics of sports; the IOC and the so-called Olympic Movement; FIFA; media and sports; corruption; influence of organised crime in sports.
He covers big international sporting events including Olympic Games, World Championships in Athletics, Swimming and the FIFA World Cup.
1987 Apprenticeship completed at the newspaper Junge Welt, East-Berlin 1987-1991 Studies of journalism and sports, degree from Leipzig University 1992-1996 Freelance journalist; TV, radio, newspapers and magazines
1996 Editor of the daily newspaper Berliner Zeitung
2003 Head of sports of Berliner Zeitung
2008 Freelance journalist and blogger
2005 Waechterpreis for investigative journalism (discovering the financial scandals during the Leipzig bid for the Olympic Games 2012)
2009 Germany's Sportjournalist of the year; Germany's Onlinejournalist of the year
1991 Olympia-Informator, Sportverlag Berlin, with V. Kluge.
1996 Muskelspiele - Ein Abgesang auf Olympia, Rowohlt Berlin Verlag, with T. Kistner. The book investigates the obscure backgrounds of some of the IOC`s leading figures, their alliances and secret deals which inevitably led to the sell-out of Olympic ideals and values.
1998 Das Milliardenspiel - Fußball, Geld and Medien, Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag, with T. Kistner. This report on soccer, the billion-dollar-game, focusses on the kind of policy FIFA adopted under the presidency of Joao Havelange and his successor Joseph Blatter. It examines the circumstances under which media-tycoon Leo Kirch secured the TV-rights to broadcast the word championships and explains why Nike is able to command Ronaldo and the Brazilian squad.
2000 Der olympische Sumpf - Die Machenschaften des IOC, Piper Verlag, with T. Kistner. The Salt Lake City scandal disclosed widespread corruption within the IOC, yet some questions remain which are discussed in this report: How did Sydney get the games? Is the president of the IOC a member of the secret catholic sect Opus Dei? What kind of contact is there between IOC members, bosses of the world boxing federation AIBA and alleged members of the Russian mafia?
2001 Seigneurs des anneaux, Éditions Golias Olimpijska mocvara - Spletke i zakulusne igre Medunarodnoga olimijskog odbora, Naklada Szabó A3 data (editions of Der olympische Sumpf in France and Kroatia)
2002 Das Milliardenspiel, China Social Scienes Publishing House (Chinese edition)
2004 Operation 2012 - Leipzigs deutscher Olympiatrip, Forum Verlag Leipzig, with G. Hartmann and C. Jeske This book discovers the financial scandals and obscure backgrounds of the Leipzig bid for the Olympic Games 2012.
2006 Korruption im Sport
1992 Die ungleichen Brüder, ORB regional television, 45 minutes: History of east and west german sports contacts during the cold war.
1995 Deutsche Doping Republik, ORB, 45 minutes: Documentary which reports backgrounds of the east german doping system and the destinies of athletes.
1996 Der Herr der Ringe, Arte, 30 minutes: IOC and its President Juan Antonio Samaranch.
2004 The Untouchable, 57 minutes: Portrait and reportage of FIFA President Joseph Blatter and his politics. Part of a 4-part-series investigating the business and politics in international football, produced by Swedish and Danish Broadcasting Corporations SVT and DR1, broadcasted in appr. 15 countries.
Presentations at Play the Game conferences
Money, Power and Marionettes: The shift of Olympic Power - Play the Game 2013
The ISL bribery system - Play the Game 2009
Corruption in Sport: opportunities and mechanisms - Play the Game 2007
In the Wake of the ISL Collapse - Play the Game 2005
Play the Game
- The withering whispers of the IOC25-06-2013
- The new power holders in world sport05-05-2011
- Swiss MP calls for anti-corruption legislation21-01-2011
- New revelations: FIFA Executives named as ISL bribe-takers29-11-2010
- Former IOC vice-president will not take part in YOG16-08-2010
- The sportswear company World Cup06-07-2010
- Prosecutor's office links FIFA officials to bribery scandal24-06-2010
- Johansson's World Cup24-06-2010
- Ticket dealers: Up to 50 % of World Cup tickets sold under market value17-06-2010
- New book alleges Samaranch KGB link16-11-2009
- Senior sport officials give their view on the need for a World Anti-Corruption Agency, Part 408-10-2009
- Sports federations should work more closely together to combat corruption08-10-2009
- Senior sport officials give their view on the need for a World Anti-Corruption Agency, Part 306-10-2009
- Senior sport officials give their view on the need for a World Anti-Corruption Agency04-10-2009
- The secret Olympic Congress in Copenhagen03-10-2009
- The IOC, the 2016 bidding race and the question of a secrect, democratic election07-09-2009
- In the wake of the ISL collapse30-11-2005
- The big bubble - the crackdown of ISL/ISMM, a marketing giant11-11-2002
- Politics and Corruption in FIFA14-11-2000