Ph.D, investigative reporter and author
Declan Hill is a journalist, academic and consultant. He is one of the world’s foremost experts on match fixing and corruption in international sports. In 2008, Hill, as a Chevening Scholar, obtained his doctorate in Sociology at the University of Oxford.
His book ‘The Fix: Organized Crime and Soccer’ has appeared in twenty-one languages. Hill was the first person to show the new danger to international sport posed by the globalization of the gambling market and match-fixing at the highest levels of professional football (soccer) including the Champions League and FIFA World Cup tournaments. Part of the book details his involvement with an Asian match-fixing gang as they travelled around the world to fix major football matches.
Hill has also published a number of academic articles, was a reviewer for Global Integrity and has probed the impact of the Russian mafia on professional ice hockey in the NHL. In 2011, he pioneered the first on-line anti-match-fixing education course for Sport Accord that was eventually used by Interpol – the International Police Force.
In 2013, his second book ‘The Insider’s Guide to Match-Fixing’ was published and immediately translated into Japanese. It is a popular version of his Oxford doctoral thesis and was dubbed by its English-language publisher as ‘Freakonomics meets Sports Corruption’.
How to do investigative journalism with no money - Play the Game 2009
Play the Game
- Play the Game 2015: Workshops: The real world of match-fixing21-10-2015
- The ghosts fixed the match09-09-2015
- The Fixers and the Officials16-06-2014
- Dreadful Research and the [Private] European Gambling Industry20-12-2011
- An international anti-corruption agency for sport04-10-2010
- The murky world of illegal Asian gambling20-07-2010
- J’accuse FIFA29-04-2010
- A tale of two football associations17-11-2009
- The conquest of the locusts01-09-2008
- The Russian Mafia and hockey12-11-2002
- The wrong people are using the wrong tools in the wrong way08-04-2015
- The Alleged Poster Child of Fixing 08-02-2013
- What took you so long?13-05-2011
- Stumped, Unanswered Questions and an Organization with a Credibility Death-Wish03-12-2010
- The Biggest Decision in Sport Now Means Nothing30-11-2010
- Chutzpah, Complicity and a Conflict of Interest02-11-2010
- How Much Has to Happen and the Sunday Times02-11-2010
- Red-Flags Around the World18-10-2010
- It’s a Game that They Are Playing14-07-2010
- What They Don’t Say14-07-2010
- It is the time for the fixes24-06-2010
- Why the Fixers Will be in South Africa09-06-2010