Richard W. Pound
Member of the International Olympic Committee
Dick Pound has been a member of the International Olympic Committee since 1978 and was a member of its Executive Board for 16 years.
He was responsible for all television negotiations and marketing activities from 1983 to 2001.
He headed the IOC's investigation into the bribery scandal arising from the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.
He was the founding president of the World Anti-Doping Agency from 1999-2007 and remains a member of its Foundation Board.
He was a former Olympic finalist in swimming, is a past President of the Canadian Olympic Committee, and was involved in the organization of the Olympic Games in Canada in 1976, 1988 and 2010.
- McGill University (Commerce 1962 and Law 1967)
- Sir George Williams University (Arts 1963)
- Chartered accountant (1964)
- Lawyer (1968).
- Secretary General (1968-1976) then President (1977-1982) of the Canadian
- Olympic Association, Deputy Chef de Mission of the Canadian Olympic delegation in Munich (1972)
- Former Secretary of the Canadian Squash Rackets Association
- Member of the PASO Executive Commission and Legislative Commission.
- Olympic finalist in the Games of the XVII Olympiad in Rome in 1960 -100 m free style (6th) and 4 x 400 m medley relay (4th),
- Gold medallist at the 1962 Commonwealth Games -110 yards free style,
- Silver medallist at the 1962 Commonwealth Games -440 yards free style relay, 880 yards free style relay, bronze medallist 440 yards medley relay
- Canadian Champion free style (1958, 1960, 1961, 1962) and butterfly (1961),
- Canadian Swimming Hall of Fame
- Canadian Amateur Athletic Hall of Fame.
Swimming, squash, tennis, golf.
- Member of the IOC since 1978: member of the Executive Board (1983-1991, 1992-1996),
- Vice-President of the IOC (1987-1991, 1996-2000),
- Member of the Commission for Preparation of the XII Olympic Congress (1988-1989),
- Member of the Eligibility Commission (1984-1987) then Vice-Chairman (1990-1991),
- Member of the Olympic Movement Commission (1983-1991, 1992-),
- Member of the Programme Commission (1984-1987). Member of the Juridical Commission (1993-),
- Member of the Centennial Olympic Congress, Congress of Unity, Study Commission (1994-1996),
- Member of the Sport and Law Commission (1995-).
Chairman of the following commissions:
- Protection of the Olympic Emblem
- Television rights negotiations (1983-)
- New Sources of Financing (1988-),
- Coordination for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta (1991-1996)
Presentations at Play the Game
Global Sport - a SWOT Assessment - Play the Game 2015
Responses to corruption in sport - Play the Game 2011
Play the Game
- New horizons or deja vue?15-11-2000